Disclaimer

Opinions and observations expressed on this blog reflect the authors' individual experiences and should not be construed to be financial advice. None of the members of this blog are licensed financial advisors. Please consult your own licensed financial advisor if you wish to act on any recommendations here.

Monday, April 11, 2011

Cost Basis and Dividend Reinvestments

So, I finished up my taxes yesterday, but had to contend with these annoying drips and drabs of stocks I had liquidated last year. Specifically, I had anywhere between 0.1 shares and 0.54 shares of a variety of stocks that I had sold long ago. The reason was that I had reinvested dividends and accumulated fractional shares in my brokerage account.

Let me tell you that calculating the cost basis on these things was annoying and took far longer than it should have. With a few of them, I just took a zero cost basis, meaning that rather than just the capital gain being taxed, the whole thing was taxed because it wasn't worth my time to figure it out. Sure, it cost me a little bit of money, but I figure the government might be able to make use of my charity these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment